Monday, September 23, 2013

This semester I take class HO1 – Honors Colloquium. I believe that it is very interesting and useful class. In first two weeks we discussed popular culture like a subject.  I want to admit that I had never seen a big difference between elite and popular culture.  I saw only a difference between good culture and bad culture. But now I have changed my opinion.  I saw a great film “Great Thinkers: Culture Wars” Today I read an article “The Rise of Popular Culture: A Historiographical Sketch” by LeRoy Ashby.
LeRoy Ashby writes in her interesting article: “During the 1960s and especially the 1970s a number of excellent histories of entertainment emerged.”  I read in the article that the writings of British historians such as E.P. Thompson were also influential. I like Susan Smulyan citation:” Many of us were television kids, born into an age of rock and roll, and our outlooks on popular culture were formed indelibly by the fact that we liked mass-mediated for most entertainment.” Rüssel Nye published in 1970 sweeping study materials “The Unembarrassed Muse: The Popular Arts in America”. This is an impressive examination of entertainments since colonial times. Nye wrote:” Popular art confirms the experience of the majority”.
I read this article with my pleasures and agree with all essays of famous scholars.

2 comments:

  1. Placing emphasis on the historians, and the general history of popular culture was enjoyable! I liked your response. I would take the comment of “good” and “bad” cultures by making points in regard to values and beliefs. But I understand that you have had an enlightening experience so I’ll leave that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, I think a lot of people see it as "good" culture and "bad" culture. I personally don't think any culture is “bad” necessarily. Being a musician I've found that no matter what music gets written, there's always going to be someone that doesn't think it's half bad. And music is just one example. Just about everything can be seen as art, and art is a good thing, whether it's popular or not.

    ReplyDelete